Oh Starbucks, you got what I want but not what I need

By Ashley Sipocz

Can you tell the difference between a want and a need? With an undergraduate degree in psychology and a continued interest, my answer to that question would have been a resounding yes. That was until I started SNAP Challenge.

Psychology has a number of theories that attempt to define and explain human wants and needs. Without going too deep into these different psychological theories, here’s a short, general synopsis:

Need: a deficit or lack that must be met for functioning and well-being.

Want: something that creates a feeling of need but can be done without; not required for functioning or well-being.

Participating the SNAP Challenge these last few weeks, I’ve realized the foods I choose to fuel myself with are very different from the ones I need. Allow me to explain.See, I am a big coffee fan. I love everything about it – the way it smells, tastes, and most of all, that little jolt after drinking that sweet, dark nectar. For me, there’s nothing like starting my morning, afternoon or evening with some java.That changed when I started the SNAP challenge. Coffee was just too expensive on a SNAP budget, so I had to learn to do without what I was convinced I needed to start and get through the day. That included my weekly treat of a triple (that’s 3 shots of espresso) grande non-fat mocha hold the whip (bet you can’t say that 3 times fast) at Starbucks.Breaking my caffeine and Starbucks habit doesn’t even come close to the sacrifices and hardships people facing food insecurity have to make every day. Yet, it hasn’t been the easiest change to make, especially because I’ve been more tired than usual on the SNAP diet. Still, making that very small change has made me more mindful of what food/beverage items are worth buying to feed myself.My weekly mocha treat costs $5.15 and clocks in at 220 calories, and for all those calories, it’s not very filling. But when I added $0.22 (which is less than an extra shot of espresso), here’s how much food I was able to get for $5.37:Food bought with mocha money

• 2 chicken breasts – $2.24
  • half can of chicken broth – $0.43
  • 1 onion – $0.58
  • 1 cup of cheese – $0.63
  • 2 bags of rice – $0.74
  • 1 can of corn – $0.75

The finished product was $5.37 well spent. I got more filling and nutritious calories for the money (about 1,600 for the entire batch of food), and it lasted longer, providing my household four meals for $1.34 each.What $1.34 buys

Knowing ‘how much food a mocha buys’ makes me feel guilty for all the mochas I thought I needed. How might I have better spent that money? I don’t need to spend $5 on a cup of coffee every week. I don’t need brand name food items. I don’t need to buy as much as I think each grocery store trip.I’m not saying goodbye to mochas forever, but I will indulge in them much less. I always knew the difference between wants and needs but now I understand it’s hard to put that knowledge into practice, especially when privileged circumstances make it easy to confuse the two. In the words of one of my favorite childhood cartoons, G.I. Joe: “Now [I] know, and knowing is half the battle.”After I complete SNAP Challenge, I have a new one for myself – want less and do more with what I’m fortunate (and grateful) to have. I’m up to the challenge. Are you?

Bookmark the permalink.